Data was last added on the 06 December 2017
PIONEER CEMETERY - 1852
(Information to be added when found)
Apart from the Church of England graveyard and the Catholic cemetery there are three references made to another cemetery, aka the burying ground or burial ground between 1852 and 1859.
- The first reference is a letter from a committee formed by the Church of England (C of E) residents of Tambaroura dated October 1852 made application for an allotment of land for the erection of a Church and School, included in the application was also for a piece of land presently being used as a burial ground, there already being 10 interments within the ground. Although no location is noted for this burial ground it precedes the first known graveyard created by the C of E in 1854 by at least 18 months. No other mention is made relating to the residents request for the burial ground, their application was approved only for land for a Church, School and Parsonage, even the location requested was changed from behind the Barracks to further out of town to the future Section 16 as eventually surveyed in 1859. One could only assume that for the C of E residents to request this burial ground they had knowledge of those who were interred in it and their faith. (511)
- The second mention made is an article in the Sydney Morning Herald describing the finding of a
approximately 300 yards behind the burying ground near Mr. Cullen's slaughtering yard. Another article in the Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser describes the location of the Chinaman
behind Cullen's slaughtering yard.
Three slaughter yards have been identified in the town in 1858 but only one appears to fit the description given in the above newspaper articles. The boxed area in the top right of Figure 1 below is noted as being a slaughter yard in the 1859 plan. The Sydney Morning Herald article notes the person was found deceased 300 yards behind the burying ground near Cullen's slaughter yard, the distance from the cemetery (burying ground) to Cullen's slaughtering yard is approximately 220 yards but the second article from the Maitland Mercury notes the deceased person was found behind Cullen's slaughter yard putting a greater distance between the cemetery (burying ground) and the deceased person. Not knowing the distance the deceased person was behind Cullen's slaughter yard from the second article it could be considered that the approximate distance of 300 yards from the burying ground is feasible.
What I have found is that in articles describing locations in and around town, the word "behind" has been used to describe a site or event that is further from the centre of town than the site being used as the reference e.g., "the Watch House is located behind the Railway Hotel", indicating the Watch House is not only behind but is also further away from the centre of town then the Railway Hotel is.
- The third reference found is the 1859 Town Plan by Surveyor Price, this shows the location of a cemetery and is notated as such in the Plan below. This plan also includes the surveyor's trace lines and tables of measurements, see Figure 2 below. The purpose of this 1859 Plan was to formalize the layout of the town in preparation for its naming in 1860. The Plan below shows the end result of Surveyor Prices efforts, what he saw on the ground at the time is what he reproduced in this Plan. Hence the cemetery and slaughter yards were in situ at the time of the survey.
Figure 1 - Cropped area of the 1859 Plan showing proposed allotment boundaries for the
and the cemetery and slaughtering yards
Figure 2 - Table of Measurements for the 1859 Tambaroora Town Plan
The survey bench mark used in Figure 1 for survey lines 2, 9 and 11 no longer exists, it was a casualty of a hydraulically sluiced area. No trace on ground has been found of a replacement.
All subsequent plans produced in 1859 and 1860 show the cemetery in the same position, this is the result of copying from the original 1859 map and the area not being re-surveyed, these later maps show the shape of the cemetery and the slaughter yards but none note them by name. Later charting plans do not show the cemetery.
The Plan used in Figure 3 below is a cropped portion of the 1859 plan, it has been overlaid using Google Earth Pro (GEP) and aligned using existing fence lines, some of which have unique bends and alignments which made accuracy easier. The two residences shown at "Q" and "W" on the plan aided in ensuring the correct Lot alignments.
Figure 3 - Cropped area of the 1859 Plan overlaid on Satellite imagery using GEP
Produced by Warwick P Taylor 2017
No mining activity has been identified in this area, the Tambaroora and Turon River Gold Field Map of 1877 does not show any Leases being applied for or issued. Later mining applications from post the 1874 Mining Act again show no activity in the area.
In 1893 the area was surveyed by Surveyor Blackett for the development of suburban lots in the north east corner of the town. No indication of the cemetery is shown nor is any mention made in his survey notes. The area does appear to have a history of slaughter yards with the addition of two other yards either still operational at the time of the 1893 survey or their remnants were visible to the Surveyor, these yards are positioned just to the east of where the cemetery is located. This could indicate that the cemetery area has been well trodden by stock movement over the preceding years.
Using the scale on the 1859 Plan the measurement of the cemetery is 90 feet x 45 feet or 136 links x 68 links, again GEP has been used to determine the size.
(Information to be added when found)