Data was last added on the 08 October 2017
HISTORY OF THE CEMETERIES
(Information to be added when found)
General Information on the Origin of Graveyards and Cemeteries
General - Current (also known as the Church of England)
General - Gazetted 1863
General - Dedicated 1898
Unknown Denomination Pre 1859
The term graveyard is often used interchangeably with cemetery, but primarily referred to a burial ground within a churchyard(482).
While churchyards can be any patch of land on church grounds, historically, they were often used as graveyards (burial places)(482).
This was the situation with the current General Cemetery on Steele Street, it had its beginnings as the Church of England Church graveyard.
This could also be the case with the Roman Catholic Cemetery, the location of the first Catholic Church is still unknown but may have been in the vicinity of the Catholic Cemetery.
If the Church of England graveyard was only for the deceased of that faith up until 1873 when the C of E Church moved, one must consider the fact that there must have been another Cemetery to accommodate those of other faith's pre 1873.
Another General Cemetery was gazetted in 1863 situated approximately 3/4 mile south east of the Town but no other information is known. This Cemetery if it did exist is now on private property.
Both the Catholic and Church of England Cemeteries were not officially recognised until many years after their inception, the Catholic Cemetery was not gazetted until 1915 and the C of E Cemetery until 1951.
The 1859 Town Survey Map shows a cemetery located in the position of the present day Catholic Cemetery, the Surveyor has only indicated that there was a Cemetery on that site, no reference being made to the denomination.
It would appear that this cemetery had escaped any official recognition until 1915 when a notice was placed in the Government Gazette reserving the land for a Cemetery.
The Cemetery was established well before the above date as indicated by the internments already in existence.
November 1915 saw the first official Trustees appointed for the Cemetery.
Located on the Towns western boundary its location is identified on the 1859 Town Survey Map, this map and the 1860 map are the only maps that verify its existence. The Cemetery is listed on the Commonwealth Register of the National Estate(288).
GENERAL CEMETERY - Previously known as the Church of England Cemetery
This cemetery has been mistakenly referred to as the Hill End Cemetery in recent years, at no time has it ever been officially noted as such. This Cemetery had its beginnings as the Church of England Church graveyard created at the same time as the opening of the Church of England Church. No area was allocated for a C of E Church graveyard but most likely it followed the long held tradition of including a church graveyard within the confines of the Church perimeter. It occupied the area within the fence around the first Church which was built in 1854. Not long after the Church was opened interments started to appear. The fence line shown in the images below is not indicative of the current fence line even though the images were taken around 1872. The fence line may not have changed to conform with the surveyed parcel or land until after the Church of England moved their Church sometime around 1874.
First Bark C of E Church with graves within the fence line
In 1859 Mr. Surveyor Price was sent to the town of Tambaroora to undertake a survey of the layout of the town in preparation of it officially becoming a Town named Tambaroora. One of the Surveyors undertakings was to try and bring some sort of uniformity to the layout of the town from what was at the time a haphazard collection of buildings and roads. One of these buildings would have been the Church of England Church which had been in existence since 1854. Once his task had been completed arrangements were made to allocate parcels of land for public usage, in 1863 the NSW Government Gazette had authorised the appropriation of
Lots 1, 2 and 3 of Section 16
for the use of the Church of England. The image below shows the result of the survey on the 1859 Town Map Section 16 and the land occupied by the Church of England, Lot One was allocated to the School, Lot 2 for the Church and Lot 3 for the Parsonage. The school can be seen in the top of the image, the Church on Lot 2 can be seen surrounded by a fence, this was the original position of the Church. This has been confirmed by images of graves located within the vicinity of the Church. The aerial image also shows the alignment of the graves prior to 1874 when the cemetery was unofficially changed to a General Cemetery and re-aligned to reflect the surveyed boundaries made by Surveyor Price in 1859.
Position of Bark Church and Fence Line from the 1859 Town Survey Map
Position of Bark Church and Fence Line showing the change in alignment of the graves
Reproduced from the 1860 Survey Map overlaid on Google Earth Pro
The image above represents where the original church and graveyard were located within the current cemetery. The largest red box is the outline of Lot 2 Section 16, Lot One was located to the north of Lot Two, Lot Three to the south of Lot Two was gazetted as the Parsonage. The red dashed line box and mimic'd by the solid red line box is the outline of the original fence line. The smaller red box within the fence line is the position of the bark C of E Church as seen in the images above. This was the size of the cemetery up until at least 1872 when the above images were taken.
An aerial image of the General Cemetery with an insert of the position of the original church graveyard within the current cemetery. The alignment of the graves in the church graveyard differs from those of the later period when the graveyard became an all denominational cemetery circa 1874.
1871 saw the Church building re-locate to its new site at Lot 4 and 5 Section 2, the graveyard remained at its present location and took on the roll as the area's General Cemetery circa 1874.
Trustee's were appointed,
Joseph James WALPOLE,
Thomas Sheridan COOPER,
John McCULLUM and
for the Church of England portion of the General Cemetery, interestingly this coincided with the formation and tabling of the by-laws in Parliament of the Hill End Municipal Council who may have assumed responsibility for the Cemetery. The decision to make it the General Cemetery may have been a local one as the Bathurst Diocese were not aware of the change nor was there entries in the Government Gazettes to reflect the change from Church of England dedicated land to that of a General Cemetery. These changes did no take effect until 1951 when the Cemetery was officially recognised.
James CHARTERS was noted in 1876 as being the Sexton for the Church and at the time was living at Lot 1 Section 21 which he had purchased in 1865, the Lot was located on the other side of Steele Street across from the Church.
Even though the land had been occupied by the Church of England since 1854 it was not granted to the "United Church of England and Ireland" and its Trustee's until 1884 (174) (175) (176), the land usage was still noted as being for a School, Church and Parsonage, the same as for the 1863 NSW Government Gazette, but by then the Church had already moved to its new location so in effect the Grants were already obsolete when issued.
The first Trustee's documented and appointed for these Grants were: Joseph James WALPOLE, Thomas PATEN, Samuel BADMAN, Herbert James PATEN, and John LAWLER (174) (175) (176)
After years of neglect the Cemetery received some well deserved tender loving care, community members rallied to the task and in 1917 efforts were made to return the Cemetery to its former state.
In 1929 a corporate trust from Bathurst undertook to rejuvenate the Cemetery, it was not until after this activity that it was realised that the Trust had inadvertently cleaned the wrong Cemetery, they had cleaned the Tambaroora General Cemetery in the western part of Tambaroora which had been surveyed and dedicated in 1898. When this error had been realised representations were made to religious and political authorities over the cemeteries management and non denominational burials. One of which saw a delegation from Tambaroora and Hill End approach the Bishop of Bathurst regarding the
ongoing management of the Cemetery
, it was at this meeting that it was found that the Cemetery was not in fact a dedicated Cemetery of any denomination, having never being gazetted for that purpose. The Bishop of Bathurst stated that other denominations would continue to be interred in the Cemetery but it was to be understood that the Church still had
control of the land.
It took another 20 years before any positive steps were made to officially recognise the Cemetery. In 1950 a
proposal for the resumption
of the dedication of Lots 1, 2 and 3 Section 16 made in 1863 and the Re-Dedication as a General Cemetery was made in the NSW Government Gazette.
It was not until 1951 when the NSW Government Gazette of that year revoked the 1863 NSW Government Gazette for the lands usage and the land was re-dedicated as a General Cemetery.
Trustee's were appointed for the Church of England portion of the General Cemetery in 1952.
GENERAL CEMETERY - Gazetted 1863
This Cemetery is mentioned in the same table in the NSW Gazette that the Church of England land was gazetted,
according to the Gazette was to be located approximately ¾ mile south easterly from the Town covering an area of 3 acres 3 roods 0 perches. Although mentioned in the same table in the same NSW Gazette as the Church of England its position puts it to far east of the Church of England complex in Section 16. When measured using Google Earth Pro to determine its location and taking the measurements from the Post Office in town itself, the Cemetery would be located on what is now private property 720 metres east of the current General Cemetery.
If it was part of the Church of England appropriation as seen in Section 16 it seems strange that it was not included in the table as being part of that Section. Another interesting fact is that it was allocated a specific area of 3 acres 3 roods, indicating that it would have been surveyed to be able to come to that area.
Hopefully time may reveal its existence.
TAMBAROORA GENERAL CEMETERY - Dedicated 1898
The survey plan of this cemetery (386.3090) notes that it was to be dedicated under the 104th Section of the Crown Lands Act of 1884. The site was surveyed in Jul 1897 and approved in Dec 1897,
land was withdrawn
from the Hill End and Tambaroora Temporary Commonage on the 19th Feb 1898. It was dedicated on the 8th Oct 1898.
As an adjunct to the General Cemetery, land was also reserved from sale for a Plantation and Extension to the Cemetery.
Tambaroora General Cemetery - 1899
The image below shows the actual Cemetery without the addition of the Plantation, the Race shown in the bottom left of the image is still in existence and easily identified today.
Source: (233) Parish Map of Tambaroora 1899
Layout and Location of the General Cemetery in the western area of Tambaroora (centre left of image)
The proposed Appropriations for the denominations were:
Church of England - 3 roods 20 perches
Roman Catholic - 2 roods 32 perches
Unsectarian - 1 rood 32 perches
Presbyterian - 1 rood 20 perches
Wesleyan - 1 rood 20 perches
Independent - 1 rood 20 perches
Jews - 1 rood 4 ½ perches
Trustee's were appointed in 1898 for both the Wesleyan and the Church of England portions of the General Cemetery.
It is worth noting that 30 years after the appointment of Frederick Le Measurier as a Trustee of the Church of England portion of the General Cemetery it was gazetted that he was removed from the list of Trustee's.
In 1929 this General Cemetery was inadvertently "fixed" by a Corporate Body from Bathurst unaware that it was the intention to fix the Cemetery located on Steele Street which was formerly the Church of England's Graveyard when the first church was located on the site from 1854 to 1874. The Steele Street Cemetery had always been referred to as the Church of England Cemetery hence the error. This and the non-denominational burials made in the past in the Steele Street Cemetery eventually lead to approaches being made to have the Steele Street Cemetery made into the General Cemetery. The change from Church of England Cemetery to the Tambaroora General Cemetery occurred in 1951.
UNKNOWN DENOMINATION CEMETERY
This cemetery is currently under investigation by interested parties so I prefer not to add any information until such time that it is either confirmed as a possible pioneer cemetery or one that was never used.