Data was last added to this page on the
07 May 2022
THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
(Information to be added when found)
The First Church - 1854
The first Church was built by community input from
donations and ongoing
subscriptions in the later part of 1854.
subscriptions were made again in early 1855 towards its completion.
Clergy of the Church
1854 - Reverend Father KUMS (007) Page 3, 16 Dec 1854
First Roman Catholic Church
Cropped image from the Holtermann Collection
Courtesy of the State Library of NSW
1871 saw a visit by the Right Reverend Dr. Quinn, Bishop of Bathurst for the purpose of a Confirmation the following day.
The exact location of the Church is currently unknown but it was noted in a newspaper article upon the opening of the new Church in 1873 that it was only a short walk between the two Churches.
The Second Church "Saint Agatha's" - 1873
A Bazaar was held at Easter 1873 to raise funds for the new Church.
It was located on Lot 4, a suburban lot within the Town's boundary. The laying of the
took place in December 1873 by Bishop Dr. Quinn. Prior to the formalities of the laying of the stone, the Very Reverend D.J. D'Arcy read an
to his Lordship Doctor Quinn.
continued for the building of the Church even though it had been completed, activities were held as far a field as Hargraves.
Little is known of its construction but the architect was Edward Gell. Gell was a well known architect of Bathurst, an entry in his note/sketchbook for the Church noted "Brick 45 x 20 feet, to cost £400" (825), evidence of red bricks still remain at the site of the Church.
In 1891 questions were raised in the NSW Parliament regarding the legal aspects of the ground upon which the Church was situated, it was realised that although an area had been allocated for the Church on Lot 4 the area had not been
dedicated nor was a Deed issued.
The Crown Land on which the Church was located was
on the 28th November 1893.
The 9th February 1894 saw the land granted for a Roman Catholic Church on Suburban Lot 4 within the Town boundary (476). The Grant being made in retrospect as was the case with other Churches and Cemeteries in and around Tambaroora.
The following persons were appointed
BYRNE Joseph Patrick, D.D. The Right Reverend
DORAN Patrick Joseph, Reverend
Destruction of the Church
Ruins of Saint Agatha's Catholic Church
All that remains after the Church was blown up.
Red Hill in the background between the two brick columns
Google Map (005)
1892 Map (006)
(To be Continued)