Data was last added to this page on the
05 November 2020
TAMBAROORA CRICKET CLUB
(Information to be added when found)
The first mention of a
is in March 1853 when a Cricket Team from Tambaroora was to play a match against a Bathurst Side. The location of the match was undecided at the time of the publication of the article.
In April of the same year a match was played between
two local sides, and in what was to become part of the Australian culture in any sport, the post celebrations that night were as impressive as the Cricket match itself.
To mark the reduction in the licensing fee for gold digging in October 1853 two teams of Tambaroorans celebrated by
Further mention of Cricket matches appear in June 1862, a
of the season was to be played by two local teams, the Garibaldi Club against the Union Club. The club names may have been influenced by local mining features, e.g., the Garibaldi Reef.
The Cricket Ground mentioned in the articles above was located behind the National School on Section 12 and 11. It is believed that the cricket pitch is still in existence thou now buried under overburden.
(To be Continued)