Data was last added to this page on the
22 October 2019
GOLDEN GULLY and TAMBAROORA SLUICING COMPANY
(Information to be added when found)
Google Map (04)
1922 Map (533)
Summary of the Companies Operation
This Companies operations may arguably have been the first hydraulic sluicing operation undertaken on the Goldfield.
An Enquiry was to be held on the 25th May 1911 to hear from interested parties objections or otherwise an application for a dredging lease made by Mr. Wells and Mr. Wallis. The area comprised approximately 100 acres along the Golden Gully Enquiry to Determine an Application for Hydraulic Sluicing
Organisation of the Company commenced in 1911 with the acquisition of Gold Lease 264 of 97 acres of land upon Golden Gully, again in 1912 the Company acquired another Gold Lease No.290 of 2 acres, many current mining lease holders gave up their leases readily and found work with the company. An earthen wall dam approximately 500 feet long with an average depth of eight feet and to hold between 10 and 12,000,000 gallons (54,553,080 Lts) of water was constructed near the junction of Golden Gully and Deadmans Gully (later known as Foremans Gully). The latest in sluicing equipment was installed along with power generation to enable the anticipated 24 hour operation.
Operation was expected to start in February 1912. By August 1912 the Plant had undergone trials in readiness for start of production. November 1912 saw the Plant move upstream in the Gully due to the difficulty in breaking down the hard banks of the Gully.
In late Dec 1912 or early January 1913 the Company increased its share capital. This may have been in response to the damage done to the Companies assets, in early January the worse rains ever recorded breached both of the Companies Dams and swept them away. Again in the same month further set backs were to take its toll on the Company, the future of the Company became uncertain, sluicing operations had not revealed expected returns. Experienced miners contend that the operation has been undertaken in the wrong area. With the realisation that the returns being made were not enough to continue operation an extraordinary meeting of shareholders was held on the 2nd August 1913 to wind up the affairs of the Company. 1914 saw the Company surrender its Leases and its machinery was removed to the Tingha area.
All that remains today is the scaring of the banks where the sluicing operations took place, the 500 foot dam which is now silted up and some suspect machinery which although not confirmed lays in the vicinity of the Companies area of operation.
Not all was lost, the large Dam eventually became a waterhole, was called the "Canton waterhole" and was fence off, some of the fencing still exists around the Dam.
2018: Relics of the Company
Location of Dam: Google Maps (04) (Note)
|2018: Relics of the Company
Dam wall, view looking West, upstream is on the left
|2018: Relics of the Company
Dam wall, view looking East, upstream is on the right, Mudgee Road can be seen in the background
Click on the Images to enlarge
Newspaper Reports of the Companies Operations
15th Apr 1912: Commencement of Operations - The company acquired 97 acres of Golden Gully for Sluicing operations
2th May 1912: Details of the Operation and Equipment - This article gives a description of the size of the dam, the various types of machinery employed and the expected production output.
5th Aug 1912: Construction of the Companies Plant Equipment - A delay in the arrival of piping to Tambaroora, the dam is holding water and machinery has been test run.
10th Aug 1912
Golden Gully and Tambaroora Sluicing Company - Equipment Ready to Start Work
13th Aug 1912: Purchased Lot 2 Section 13 from John Hurley(434) located at Google Map (005) or 1892 Map (6)
15th Aug 1912: Trial Run of Plant Equipment and Operations to Commence - By August 1912 the Plant had undergone a trial run and all was ready to start production.
9th Nov 1912: Plant Equipment Moved 200 Yards up the Gully - The Plant was moved upstream in the Gully due to the difficulty in breaking down the hard banks of the Gully.
27th Nov 1912: The Company is Operational
4th Jan 1913: The Company Increased its Share Capital - The Company raised more capital through the sale of an additional 20,000 shares at two shillings each.
8th Jan 1913: Heavy Rain Sweeps the Companies Dams Away - The worse rains ever recorded breached both of the Companies Dams.
24th Jan 1913: Operations of the Company at a Standstill - The future of the Company is uncertain, sluicing operations have not revealed expected returns. Experienced miners contend that the operation has been undertaken in the wrong area.
1st May 1913: Operations Hampered by the Weather - Weather played a major part in delaying the operation of the company with repairs being needed to the dams, capital being needed to enable repairs to be made. This capitial raising could have been that which was made in January the same year. The newspaper reports being late in reporting.
24th Jul 1913: Meeting held to Wind Up the Company - An Extraordinary Meeting was held on the 2nd August 1913 to wind up the affairs of the Company.
18th May 1914: Surrendering of their Leases and Removal of Machinery - The Company surrendered its Leases and its machinery was removed to the Tingha area.