Data was last added to this page on the
30 June 2018


HISTORY OF THE HARGRAVES HOTEL

(Information to be added when found)



The Hargraves Hotel had its beginning in 1853 as the Hibernian Hotel, located on the yet unsurveyed Lot 1 Section 9. William COURT entered into an arrangement with James JOHNSTON for the purpose of running a public house known as the Hibernian Hotel which was later changed to the Hargraves Hotel. Johnston was left to manage the hotel while Court was away but incurred liabilities of 1600 pounds which both parties had to jointly repay. Johnston not being able to repay his share of the debt handed over his interest in the hotel for 400 pounds and was to make up the difference of another 400 pounds by undertaking a bond which it appears was never repaid and twenty years later in 1873 William Court attempted to recoup that loss.[(2) dtd 15 Nov 1873]

On the 18 Apr 1854 William COURT applied for and was granted a Publican Licence for the Hargraves Hotel, the sureties for William Court were James CULLEN of Tambaroora and Matthew GILLESPIE of Tambaroora with a recognizance of fifty pounds being received from each party. The dwelling contained two sitting rooms and six bedrooms besides those required for the use of the family.(81)

On the 9 Jun 1855 William COURT placed an advertisement in the Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser expressing his appreciation for the support he received from the public since opening his establishment.


Source:(117)
Extracted from the digitised newspaper articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


On the 22 Apr 1856 William COURT applied for and was again granted the publican licence for the hotel. His surities were T. DILLISTONE of Tambaroora and William James SLACK of Tambaroora. A recognizance of fifty pounds was received from each party. The distance to the nearest Licenced Houses was 200 yards.(81)


On the 25 Feb 1857 an advertisement appeared in the Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal for the sale of the hotel.


Source:(7) 25 Feb 1857
Extracted from the digitised newspaper articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Thomas M. SMITH purchased the Hotel for twenty pounds eight shillings and five pence(121)On the 13 Mar 1858 the new proprietor placed an article in the Empire newspaper advertising the hotel.


Source:(1) dtd 13 Mar 1858
Extracted from the digitised newspaper articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


In 1861 the Crown Lands Alienation Act was introduced, this allowed persons to purchase crown land which they had previously occupied and had made improvements upon.

On the 12 December 1863 Thomas Smith purchased Lot 1 Section 9 as a "Grant Upon Purchase of Improved Crown Lands" for twenty pounds eight shillings and five pence. The lot was three roods twenty eight and half perches, and was bounded by Mudgee Road, Albert and Sofala Streets(121).

1st Jul 1865 to 30th Jun 1866

Publican Licence Issued to Thomas M. SMITH
(41) dated 8 Sep, No. 192 Page 2058

1867 saw the hotel once again put up for sale, an advertisement appeared in The Empire newspaper dated 13 February 1867


Source:(1) Pg.8, dtd 13 Feb 1867
Extracted from the digitised newspaper articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


The four images below are part of what formed the Hargraves Hotel complex at Lot 1 Section 9 as per the above newspaper advertisement.


Hotel
Source: Courtesy of the National Library of Australia


General Store
Source: From the collection of the State Library of NSW


Blacksmith Shop
Source: From the collection of the State Library of NSW


General Store and Hotel
Source: Courtesy of Mike Kelly, descendant of Catherine Palmer


18 April 1867 saw the transfer of the title from Thomas Smith to George HURLEY of Tambaroora who at the time was the licensed publican of the land described on the title(122). (George Hurley was the son of Catherine PALMER by her first marriage, she later became the publican of the hotel).

A Mortgage was undertaken on the 11 August 1868 by George Hurley to John Frazer and William Manson, both merchants of Sydney, to secure the sum of three hundred and fifty nine pounds and fourteen shillings.(122)

Another title transfer took place on the 31 December 1868 from George Hurley and the mortgagee's John Frazer and William Manson to Robert HICKSON (122) of Tambaroora, a gold miner. (Note that there is a difference between the transfer dates on the Certificates of Title, 31 December 1868 appears on Volume 44 Folio 81 and the 4 February 1869 appears on Volume 80 Folio 62 for this same title transfer).

1869 - John PALMER was issued a publican license for the Hotel.(272)

1870 - Catherine Palmer was issued a publican license for the Hotel.(273)

1871 - Catherine Palmer was issued a publican license for the Hotel.(258)

1872 - Catherine Palmer was issued a publican license for the Hotel.(259)

The big mystery to date is when the Hargraves Hotel relocated from Lot 1 Section 9 to Lot 1 Section 4A previously occupied by the Railway Hotel of Harriet Beard, it is interesting to note that no Publican Licenses were issued for the Railway Hotel after 1872. The only dealing was with the new owner in August 1873 advertising the Railway Hotel for lease. The lease was taken up in the same month and the lessee applied for a billard license in 1873.

Up until 1873 at least both the Hargraves Hotel at Lot 1 Section 9 and the Railway Hotel at Section 4A were still operating as James DAGGER was also issued a billards license for the Hargraves Hotel(260).

1874 - James Dagger was issued a billards license for the Hargraves Hotel,(261) its location unknown.

1875 saw Lewis Clarke become the proprietor of Section 4A, the certificate of title for his purchase was dated 31 May 1875.(271). The advertisement for the sale of the Hargraves Hotel in 1884 noted its location at Section 4A and that it was leased to James Dagger, so the relocation must have taken place within this time frame.

1 July 1875 - James Dagger was issued a publican license for the Hotel, location unknown(262)

1876 - James Dagger was issued a publican license for the Hotel, location unknown(263)

1877 - James Dagger was issued a publican license for the Hotel, location unknown(264)

1878 - James Dagger was issued a publican license for the Hotel, location unknown(265)

1 July 1879 - James Dagger was issued a publican license for the Hotel, location unknown(266)

1 July 1880 - James Dagger was issued a publican license for the Hotel.(267)

After the death of Lewis Clarke in 1882 an Application by Transmission dated 3 October 1883 was made transferring the title to his ex wife Anna Maria CANNELL (271)

The hotel was put up for sale in 1884, an advertisement appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald dated 29 March 1884, which also noted its location as being within Section 4A.


Source:(2) dtd 29 Mar 1884 Pg.16)
Extracted from the digitised newspaper articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


James Dagger of Tambaroora, a Licensed Victualler purchased the premises from Anna Maria Cannell on the 14 June 1884.(271).


Hargraves Hotel at Lot 1 Section 4A
Source: From the Collection of the State Library of NSW


The hotel closed its doors for the last time in August 1902 due to slackness of trade.


Source: (269) Page 2, 9 Aug 1902
Extracted from the digitised newspaper articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Following the death of James Dagger in 1900 an Application by Transmission was made and the Certificate of Title was transferred on the 4 December 1903 to Alfred Thomas DAGGER of Tambaroora, a gold miner(271)

The Dreaded Chimney

As for the Hargraves Hotel chimney, it is in fact the chimney that was positioned on the southern end of the Railway Stores building located next to the Railway Hotel on Lot 1 Section 4A when owned by Harriet Beard. Measurements taken from existing images of the Hargraves Hotel frontage leaves the chimney nearly fifty feet away from the southern end of the Hargraves Hotel building. In a broad sense it could be said that it was a chimney which formed part of the Hargaves Hotel complex but not a chimney from the Hargraves Hotel.



The End