Data was last added to this page on the
30 July 2018


DEVELOPMENT OF THE TOWN

(Information to be added when found)



Preamble
The information on this page hopefully will describe the layout of the town and the ongoing changes that were made, it also hopes to explain the different types of land acquisitions that were made available to potential landowners or grantee's of lands.

Originally the names of surveyed dimensioned land area's were called either "Portions" or "Allotments" as noted on the various Land Purchase documents, but in time this nomenclature was replaced with the simple term "Lot", I have used Lot throughout this web site.

There are four area's which fall within the scope of this research:
1. that part of the Parish of Cummings (PoCu), DP756877 located in the north west of the Tambaroura,
2. that part of the Parish of Carroll (PoCa), DP756873 located in the east of the Tambaroura,
3. the Parish of Tambaroora (PoT), DP756905 in the centre which covers the majority of the area, and
4. the Township (ToT), DP758950.

Parish boundaries have changed over the years and where known have been indicated.

Surveying Instruments
Surveying the Lots entailed using either of two types of instruments:

these were supported by the Gunters Chain for measuring the distances. At every corner of a Lot a stake was driven and the corners were lockspit.

Types of Land Purchases

The date used as the purchase date for the land acquisition may not be the exact date, some Grants only note the date the document was signed by the Register General. This date could be days, weeks or months after the actual purchase was made, this is especially true where the land may have been purchased at a Land Auction Sale.

Terminology

The Towns Development
The town boundary is a defined area and is broken up into sections and in most cases bounded by streets, within each section are the lots. Also within the town boundary are scattered suburban lots of various acreage.

Prior to 1859 and from the outset of the initial gold rush of 1852 the land was settled in a very haphazard fashion without any thought of uniformity, it was a case of first in first choice of land. Irregular shaped lots sprung up everywhere, especially along the main street of the town from McBrian Street down to Clark Street, and along McMahon Street in the west, this area was to become the hub of the towns business district.

1859 saw a survey undertaken of the town to bring some uniformity to its layout and in preparation for the formal naming of the town on the 13th Dec 1859. What may have appeared on town and parish maps did not necessarily mean that it was how it was on the ground, roads shown on maps in fact never existed on the ground.

Deceased Estates
It has been found that some Certificates of Title for Lots owned by persons who have passed away have not had Applications by Transmission made upon them, suggesting that the Title may have been lost hence those responsible for the administration of the Estate were not aware that these Lots were part of the deceased estate.

Mortgages
Where a Mortgage was undertaken there have been instances where the mortgage has not been discharged and no further dealings have been noted on the Certificate of Title.



Site fixed upon and town officially named



Source: (30) No.254 Pg.2756 dtd 16th Dec 1859
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


On the 3rd Dec 1860 at the Tambaroora Police Office an auction sale was held for Town Lots:

Town Lot Purchases - 3rd Dec 1860


Source: (32) No.194, Pg.2017 dtd 20th Oct 1860
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Another land sale took place on the 15 May 1861 for that land that was not bid for or where deposits were forfeited from the previous sale.

Town Lot Purchases - 15th May 1861


Source: (25) No.81, Pg.809 dtd 10th Apr 1861
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


1861 was the introduction of the Crown Lands Alienation Act of 1861. One of the clauses of this act, clause 8 allowed individuals to apply for land that they may have occupied previously and had made improvements upon, this was called an "Improvements Purchase".

1863 saw the first group of Lots applied for as "Improvement Purchases" approved, all were located along the main street of Tambaroora known as Mudgee Road:


Permission to purchase Improved Lands - 1863


Source: (236) No.25 Pg.389 & 390 dated 13th Feb 1863
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Deeds of Grant ready for Delivery - 1864


Source: (40) No.76 Pg.906-909 dtd 13th Feb 1863
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Permission to purchase Improved Lands - 1864


Source: (40) No.157 Pg.1751 dated 5th Aug 1864
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


This was followed by another approval in Sep 1864.
Permission to purchase Improved Lands - 1864


Source: (40) No.185 Pg.2084 dated 20th Sep 1864
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Again in Oct 1864 another approval.
Approval to Purchase Improved Lands - 1864


Source: (40) No.193, Pg.2197 dtd 4 Oct 1864
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Approval for the purchase of these lots did not necessarily mean that the applicant purchased the Lot, different circumstances may have either prevented the purchase or the applicant decided not to proceed with the claim be it for financial reasons or the need for the Lot was no longer required, which resulted in the Lot containing the improvements and was applied for as such being forfeited for non-payment of the appraised value.

As can be seen in the image above, the monetary payment conditions were laid out in paragraph 2, it has been seen on some survey plans that some purchasers did not meet these requirements and their applications were forfeited.

The appraised values of the Lots gives an indication of the extent of the improvements made to the Lots at the time of the survey or appraisal that accompanied the application. Thomas SMITH's purchase of Lot 1 Section 9 is a good example, this was the site of the original Hargraves Hotel, the extent of the improvements made on this Lot were extensive and can be read in the For Sale advertisement of 1857 for the Hotel. The appraisal value in 1863 was 18 pounds 11 shillings and 3 pence.

It is interesting to note that there appears to be a trend by persons wanting to purchase their improved land as an "Improvement Purchase" but they did not pay the appraised value of the Lot and instead preferred to purchase the Lot at the auction sales that were held at later dates. The value of the auctioned Lot appears in some cases to be less than the appraised values that were put on the same Lot.

5th May 1865
Lands Dedicated for Religious and Public Purposes


Source: (41) No.87, Pg.985, dtd 5th May 1865
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Land Sale Town and Suburban Lots - 27th Sep 1865


Source: (41) No.179, Pg. 1877 dtd 24th Aug 1865
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Deeds of Grant - 27th Oct 1868


Source: (44) No.276, Pg.4009-4013 dtd 14th Nov 1868
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Deeds of Grant Ready for Delivery - 26th Jun 1873


Source: (49) No.162 Pg.1799-1803 dtd 26th Jun 1873
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


Approval to Purchase Portions or Lots - 4th May 1875



Source: (51) No.94, Pg.1310 dtd 4th May 1875
Extracted from the digitized Gazettes by Archive Digital Books Australasia


In the early 1890's an attempt appears to have been made to reawaken the township, alterations to the design of the Town and the addition of Lots saw in the ensuing years Auction Sales to sell off those Lots and those Lots that were not originally sold in the 1860's and 70's.


Proposed Alteration of Design of the Town and Suburban Lots of Tambaroora - 17th Feb 1891
The alterations consisted of the addition of Suburban Lots in the north eastern part of the Town



Source: (390) No.113 Pg.1366 dtd 17th Feb 1891
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Application to Mine within the Town and under Roads - 27th Jun 1893
The Application was refused on the 15th Aug 1893



Source: (391) No.462 Pg.5076 dtd 27th Jun 1893
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Hill End and Tambaroora Temporary Commonage - 29th Jul 1893
Removed from within the boundaries of the Town and Suburban Lands of the Town of Tambaroora



Source: (391) No.544 Pg.6048 dtd 29th Jul 1893
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Application to Mine within the Town and under Roads - 15th Aug 1893
These Applications were all refused



Source: (391) No.568 Pg.6306 dtd 15th Aug 1893
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Land Sale Town Lots - 7th Nov 1893



Source: (391) No.609 Pg.6885 dtd 31st Aug 1893
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


In Dec of the same year 425 acres was revoked from the Wellington Goldfield and made available for sale in the Town and its Suburban lands.


Land Revoked from Wellington Goldfield and to be sold as part of Tambaroora Township and Suburban Lands - 14th Dec 1893



Source: (391) No.544 Pg.6039 dtd 29th Jul 1894
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


In 1894 Lots which had previously not been sold when sales were held in the 1860s and 70s and the unsold Lots from the Auction held in the previous year were placed up for Auction again, this Auction also included the lands that were revoked in the later part of 1893, all were put up for Auction on the 18th Sep 1894.


Land Sale Town and Suburban Lots - 18th Sep 1894



Source: (295) No.467, Pg.4535 dtd 18th Sep 1894
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Again in 1895 Lots which had previously not been sold when sales were held in the 1860s, 1870s and the unsold Lots from the Auction held in the previous year were placed up for Auction again, all were put up for Auction on the 5th Jun 1895.


Land Sale Town and Suburban Lots - 5th Jun 1895



Source: (468) No.226, Pg.2205 dtd 1st Apr 1895
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


Revocation of Reserves from Sale - 4th Jan 1918
The listed Lots below appear to not have been sold after the previous years attempts, their Reserve status was revoked 60 days after the notification date.



Source: (142) No.2, Pg.84 dtd 1st Jan 1918
Extracted from the digitised articles found in Trove, reproduced courtesy of the National Library of Australia.


TO BE CONTINUED