Data was last added to this page on the
20 September 2019
ORIOMO EXPLORATIONS LTD and the CONCRETE DAM
The publication "Gold and People - Recollections of Hill End, 1920s to 1960s" by Bruce Goodwin describes the operations initially undertaken by Mineral Explorations Ltd and continued by Oriomo Explorations Ltd and its subsidiary company Hill End Alluvials.
gives a full account of the undertakings short life from the mining operations inception to its sudden demise.
Page 116 of Gold and People notes the exploratory drilling undertaken by Mineral Explorations Pty Ltd, the Application made by the Company to hydraulically sluice areas of Tambaroora as noted in the book included a Plan showing the extent of the areas applied for.
An Overlay of the Applications shows the extent of the area applied for.
At a later date operational control was passed to Oriomo Explorations Ltd
1st Jan 1937 -
Mining Report for Operations at Tambaroora
6th Jan 1937 -
Interim Report on Operations at Tambaroora
20th Jan 1937 -
Engineers Computations of Values on Prospecting Operations at Tambaroora
25th Jan 1937 -
The Companies Options
31st Jan 1937 -
The Companies Prospects
17th Apr 1937 -
Tenders for Rubble Concrete Dam on Tambaroora Creek
30th Apr 1937 -
Registration of Hill End Alluvials Proprietary Ltd
27nd Oct 1937 -
Hill End Alluvials Application for Dredging Lease
7th Nov 1937 -
Mining Lease Application GL 438
Shows the layout of the Powerhouse, buildings and Dam
on Tambaroora Creek
6th Nov 1937 - The path of the supply of water and electrical reticulation for the Monitors at the work face on Tambaroora Creek on the east side of Red Hill is shown on the
Plan of Portion GL 440
1st Nov 1937 -
Concrete Dam nears Completion
Photo Album of the Dam Construction
These Images are from the Bill and Betty Maris Collection, held by the Hill End and Tambaroora Gathering Group.
Click on the Image below to view the Album
14th Feb 1938 -
Sluicing Operations undertaken
The sluicing operations undertaken in hydraulic sluicing entailed using water canons called monitors to blast away the soil in area's which allowed the now soil and water mix known as a slurry to gravity feed itself into a contained area where it could then be processed for the gold extraction.
Plan of Portion MT39 dated 1941 for an unrelated mining operation shows the containment area, marked as an "Embankment" and the rejected material marked as "Tailings" that was used by the earlier Oriomo/HillEnd Alluvial's consortium to process the slurry.
30th Jul 1938 -
The ORIOMO Debacle
26th Jan 1939 -
Decision to Liquidate Hill End Alluvials Pty Ltd
30th Jan 1939 -
Mining Companies not interested in taking over Operations
25th May 1939 -
Hill End Alluvial Pty Ltd - No Funds
3rd Jun 1939 -
Tenders Called for Purchase of Companies Holdings
1944-45 - An approach was made by the Chairman of the Hill End War Agricultural Committee, Mr. Harry Walpole to the NSW Government with the view of gaining control of the Dam and using it in conjunction with a re-forestation post war project of the Hill End district.
Formal approval was given in Jun 1945 and five persons were appointed as Trustee's of the Dam:-
Mr. Thomas John BAIRSTOW, Carpenter,
Mr. Leslie James Hamilton, Labourer,
Mr. Lindsay Patrick KIMM, Grazier,
Mr. Kevin Clarence KEARNS, Constable and Warden Clerk, and
Mr. Harry WALPOLE, Teacher.
Control of the Dam was to be invested in the above persons subject to the Government still retaining control.(582)
What the Dam looks like now -
Oriomo Explorations Pty Ltd Concrete Dam
(Click on the Image to Enlarge)
(To be continued)