Data was last added to this page on the
27 May 2018
(Information to be added when found)
The Racecourse was established in 1853 after a
meeting of residents
and other interested parties was organised to discuss holding a race meeting.
The race meeting was to be held on the 11th
of May on a Racecourse next to Mr. Townsend's Inn. A committee was formed to oversee the format for the event.
The image above shows the racecourse located on the right of the map above the Church of England land, 'RACE COURSE' is written vertically between the Church of England lot and the escort track, a faint line shows the outline of the race course.
At a latter meeting held by the newly formed committee on the 11th
Apr 1853 at Mr. Wallace's Inn a
for the race meeting was decided upon.
results and after event function
from that first race meeting were impressive and further race meetings were held on an annual basis.
To be Continued