Data was last added to this page on the
08 April 2022


Time Line
Development of the Tambaroura

There is no exact date that the first prospectors discovered gold in the immediate vicinity of the junction of the Macquarie and Turon Rivers and the tableland above at Dirt Hole Creek. Many attempted to seek out the gold by stealth, trying to keep ahead of other's with the same intentions as themselves, hastily advancing along the rivers and creeks searching for and quantifying the gold found to see if it was worth their while to establish themselves at that spot.

Movement to the area spread from the earliest discoveries at Ophir, the Lower Turon which at the time was described as being downstream from Sofala to the crossing place on the Turon at the current Coles Bridge before the expansion saw the miners chasing the gold further downstream along the Turon ultimately culminating at the junction of the Macquarie and Turon Rivers, and which later was referred to as the Lower Turon, and from Louisa Creek, miners following the gold at Meroo, Pyramul and Green Valley to Dirt Hole Creek.



1851 1852 1853 1854
1857 1858 1859
1860 1861 1862 1863 1864
1865 1867 1868 1869
1870 1871

Date Event

1851
Gold and the Law
22 May 1851 Goldfield Proclamation
23rd May 1851 Licences to Dig for Gold and Search for Gold
Description of the Area and Satellite Gold Fields
8 Oct 1851 The Turon as reported by a Correspondent
21 Oct 1851 Gold Values
29 Oct 1851 The Turon, including Hawkins Ridge and Dirt Hole Creek

1852
10 Feb 1852 The Goldfields - The Turon
Establishment of the Tambaroora Settlement and Administrative and Judicial Precinct for the Lower Turon, Macquarie, Bald Hills, Golden Gully, Tambaroora, Dirt Holes and Green Valley.
18 Feb 1852 The Stockyards
24 Feb 1852 Location of the Commissioners Camp
27 Feb 1852 Courts of Petty Sessions Established
28 Feb 1852 The Goldfields - The Turon
5 Mar 1852 Reservoirs for Washing Gold
12 Mar 1852 Tambaroura Creek
26 Mar 1852 Granting of Publicans General Licences
14 Apr 1852 Postal Service to Tambaroora
5 May 1852 Appointment of Patrick BOGUE, Esquire, as a Magistrate
17 Apr 1852 The Dirt Hole, Tambaroura, and Baldridge Creek
14 May 1852 Sale of Beer in Dirt Holes Creek
27 May 1852 Appointment of James BUCHANAN as Clerk of Petty Sessions
10 Jul 1852 Transportation to The Tambaroura and the Dirt Holes Creek
27 Jul 1852 Appointment as Inspector of Slaughter Houses
2 Aug 1852 Post Office Established
6 Aug 1852 Appointment as Inspector of Distilleries
13 Aug 1852 Tenders for Conveyance of Mails
21 Aug 1852 Formation of the Tambaroura Miners Association
18 Sep 1852 Agency for the Bathurst Free Press and Mining Journal
19 Sep 1852 Wesleyan Church Opened
23rd Oct 1852 Appointment of Church of England Cleryman
30 Oct 1852 Name meaning of Tambaroura
21 Dec 1852 An Act for the Regulation of the Police Force
25 Dec 1852 Coal Hole Tavern Closed on Sundays

25 Jan 1853 Appointment of Clerk of Petty Sessions
2 Feb 1853 Proclamation for Gold Fields
25 Feb 1853 Appointment of Registrar of the Court of Requests
4 Mar 1853 Tenders for Supplies
12 Mar 1853 Tambaroora Cricket Club Match
25 Mar 1853 Public Pound Established
2 Apr 1853 Meeting to Propose Holding a Horse Race Meeting
19 Apr 1853 Annual Licencing Meeting
29 Apr 1853 Table of Rates - Trespass of Stock
11 and 12 May 1853 Program for the First Race Meeting
11 Jun 1853 Establishment of the Church of England School
9 Jul 1853 Tambaroora Gold Mining Joint Stock Company
19 Jul 1853 Tenders for Conveyance of Mails
22 Jul 1853 Resignation and Appointment of a Poundkeeper
16 Aug 1853 Appointment of Inspector of Weights and Measures
19 Aug 1853 Table of Rates for Trepass of Stock
The Beginning of Quartz Crushing and the Discovery of Quartz Veins on Bald Hill
26 Oct 1853 Quartz Crushing at Tambaroora
12 Nov 1853 Royal Quartz Crushing Company
27 Dec 1853 Discovery of a Gold Bearing Quartz Vein
Adminstrative, Social and Mining Developments of the Town and the Area

11 Feb 1854 William Wade's Vegetable Garden
29 Mar 1854 Meeting to Build a Church of England Church and School
8 Jul 1854 Opening of the Church of England Church and School
23rd Sep 1854 Tambaroora Circulating Library
29 Nov 1854 Salaries to be Paid to Clerks of Petty Sessions
16 Dec 1854 Subscriptions Towards a new Catholic Church
29 Dec 1854 Appointment of Police Magistrate

17 Feb 1855 Colonial Gold Company
3rd Apr 1855 Tambaroora
24 Apr 1955 Church of England Wardens Appointed
24 May 1855 Subscribers to the Patriotic Fund
28 Jul 1855 Dublin Tavern For Sale

15 Jul 1856 Movement of Chinese to the Goldfields

21 Jan 1857 Appointment of Gold Receiver and Sub-Commissioner of Crown Lands
25 Feb 1857 Sale of Hargraves Hotel
18 Jul 1857 Tambaroura, The Area

19 Feb 1858 Appointment of Inspector of Weights and Measures and Slaughter Houses and Bailiff of the Small Debts Court
20 Mar 1858 Disturbance between Chinese and Europeans
29 Mar 1858 Petition to Establish a Local Court
2 Aug 1858 Public Meeting Held to Discuss a Permanent Water Supply
1 Sep 1858 Description of, and Population of the Chinese on the Goldfield
4 Sep 1858 The Chinese at Tambaroora

26 Jan 1859 A Visit to the Western Goldfield
16 Aug 1859 Birth, Deaths and Marriage Registration District
16 Dec 1859 Site Fixed Upon for a Town to be called Tambaroora
17 Dec 1859 Candidates for Chinese Interpreter

2 Jun 1860 Meeting to Propose the Purchase of a Crushing Machine
11 Jun 1860 Tenders for Telegraph Line from Bathurst to Mudgee via Tambaroora
17 Aug 1860 Site Fixed Upon for a Village called Forbes (Hill End)
20 Oct 1860 Land Sale at the Police Office, Tambaroora
10 Nov 1860 Victoria Quartz Crushing Machine

12 Jan 1861 The Victoria Quartz Crushing Company
10 Apr 1861 Land Sale at the Police Office, Tambaroora
7 Aug 1861 Tenders for Watch-House
9 Aug 1861 Tender for the Erection of a Watchhouse
18 Oct 1861 Crown Land Alienation Act, 1861, Clause 8

11 Jan 1862 Tambaroora Road Trust
27 Jan 1862 Meeting of the Committee of the Tambaroora Hospital
9 May 1862 Name Changed from Forbes to Hill End
3rd Jun 1862 The Letting or Sale of the Victoria Quartz Crushing Company
4 Jun 1862 Queens Birthday Cricket Match
4 Sep 1862 Electric Telegraph Office
17 Oct 1862 Fire Destroys Patens Bakery and other Stores
7 Nov 1862 Telegraph Station Opened
17 and 18 Nov 1862 Burtons National Circus

27 Jan 1863 Subscribers for the National School
16 Jul 1863 Lands Dedicated for Public Use

27 Feb 1864 Chinese Travelling Theatre or Circus Comes to Town
5 May 1865 Crown Lands Dedicated for Religious Purposes
25 Jul 1865 Land Sale at Police Office, Tambaroora
25 Jul 1865 Establishment of a Public Pound
25 Sep 1865 Repairs needed to Bridge over Creek at MacMahon Street
27 Sep 1865 Land Sale at the Police Office, Tambaroora
29 Sep 1865 Appointment as Inspector of Slaughter-Houses

13 Feb 1867 Sale of the Hargraves Hotel
11 Jun 1867 Public Pound Relocated

3rd Mar 1868 Public School Board Appointed

26 Jul 1869 Land Sale at Tambaroora
31 Aug 1869 Appointment of Mining Registrar

8 Feb 1870 Hill End and Tambaroora Temporary Commonage
15 Apr 1870 Tenders for Construction of a New Church of England Church
23rd Apr 1870 Move to Establish a Branch of the Protestant Political Association
23rd Apr 1870 Move to Establish a Branch of the Protestant Political Association
6 Aug 1870 Population of the Police District
6 Aug 1870 Meeting for the Creation of the Protestant Political Association
8 Aug 1870 Random Notes by a Wandering Reporter - TAMBAROORA
11 Aug 1870 Random Notes by a Wandering Reporter - The BALD HILLS

15 Apr 1871 Meeting held to Propose the Erection of a Protestant Hall
17 May 1871 St Saviours Opened for Divine Service
19 Aug 1871 Foundation Stone laid for the Protestant Hall
2 Sep 1871 Telegraph Line from Tambaroora to Hill End

Data was last added to this page on the
08 April 2022